When I first saw this picture, I was appalled at how we create these totally unnatural body sizes in children's favorite toys such as the Barbie. I can recall playing with Barbies all of the time as a kid, dressing them up and playing with their hair. Barbies are role models to young kids on how to look. When we see a Barbie as a kid, we don't think of it then when we are playing, but our brains are slowly being brainwashed on how we should look. I have heard tremendous amounts of increased body image issues and I think it is safe to say that children who played with Barbies have them to blame. Every aspect of Barbies body is impossible and fake. No ones breasts could be that big when your torso can be squeezed together with your own hands. We all know it's fake and cannot be achieved but yet we all still strive to be a size 0 and 5'9''. When Barbie's proportions are put on this healthy girl, it disgusts me. Everyone's body types are different and for most of us being stick thin does not come naturally. All real people have curves and that should be okay. Social media and kid's toys are telling us to have "curves" by having our hip bones jut out and our ribs be totally visible through our skin. Barbie wears tons of makeup and has eyes that take up half of her face. We will never be able to have that. Even in advertisements, we widen women's eyes, lengthen their legs and thin out their waists. Nothing is natural anymore and its really sad. Barbie and other social media representations of girls bodies is increasing eating disorders, self esteem problems and even suicide. How can we let this happen and keep selling these brainwashing dolls? Barbie angers me and I hope by the time I have kids that Barbies will depict a natural and healthy woman for young girls to strive for.
http://www.divinecaroline.com/life-etc/momhood/negative-effects-barbie-young-girls-long-term-results

I think this is a great blog Kristen! Body image and false advertising is a really big problem going on in the world today and I think you have done a good job exposing the unrealistic and truthfully disgusting figure young girls are trying to obtain when they do not even realize that the toys that they are playing with are triggering these expectations. I think you have done a good job showing how a Barbie dolls figure is so unnatural through describing the doll and its features. Good job!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Val! Body image issues are so big right now and I figured writing a blog post on my opinion of it would maybe show someone else the disgusting views we promote young kids to have. Negative body image should really stop and I'm sure many people agree!
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you! We can only hope that soon enough there will be an end to this ridiculous body image that so many girls are trying to pursue. I love you enthusiasm to this picture and how strong your opinion is. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Rachel! It's really important to me that girls have a good influence growing up and Barbies are not that! I hope it gets changed soon.
DeleteI really enjoyed reading about how you portray Barbie as a whole! I completely agree with everything you said, and it's really sad that simple toys, such as a doll, can have such a lasting impact on kids. Barbie gives off such an unrealistic body that I would be ashamed if I was one of the creators to such a product. Do you think that the people behind Barbie are even ashamed of what they put out on the market? Or do you think that they are also brainwashed along with the idea that girls should look like this? Good entry!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Dom! I think they are probably ashamed of what they have created but they won't take them off the market because kids are already brainwashed and don't want a "fat" or healthy sized Barbie doll. It's really sad it has come to this point.
DeleteI've seen this picture a million times and it never fails to shock me!! It's terrible that a barbie which is marketed towards younger girls is something they adore and it shapes their view of reality. I like the points you make! Good job!
ReplyDeleteHave you ever seen the picture of a barbie compared to another barbie (with normal proportions)? It also stuns me...
I have not! I would love to see that though. The Barbie proportions are the worst thing ever for young girl's self esteem.
ReplyDelete