Thursday, May 22, 2014

My Story


When I was about nine, my mom remarried. She had been through a divorce, luckily a relatively smooth one and fell in love a few years later with my stepdad. My life changed immensely when four other people started sitting at the table for dinner, and staying the night in my room and couches. At first all the other people coming around made me so nervous. I was such a timid kid so I didn't make new friends that easily. I wanted to talk to my two new brothers and new sister but it felt like pulling teeth. I remember I was afraid that they would judge me for liking to read or playing with dolls because they were so into sports. I had never been into outdoor activities since my mom was too afraid I would get hurt. I was very sheltered as a kid and when I saw these kids getting thrown into the pool when I wouldn't even venture out past the stairs. I remember thinking they were the most foreign thing in my life. I couldn't even imagine riding a dirt bike or fishing for fun when you could get hurt. Arts and crafts seemed so much more appealing and safe for me. I still to this day do not live that kind of "tomboy life," but I have become a very different person from their influence. Having new siblings who were older than me really helped show me the ropes in life. I had always been the oldest child but now I am right in the middle of five. I know if I had always lived with just my sister and mother, I would not be who I am today. I used to cry whenever someone would pick on me for simple fun. I was too sensitive but thankfully from a little roughening up by my step family, I was just fine with a little fun and games. I am extremely thankful for my experience with a new family because I believe that if I didn't have them, I would have major social issues in school and every day life. Taking criticism is a part of life and without it you cannot improve. Having another family also gave me so many new friends. My big sister became my role model and she talked to me about her problems.  I believe her and her high school struggles helped me decide that helping people made me feel so good about myself. My little brother, only a year younger than me also was my partner in crime. We had so many laughs and luckily we still do. My oldest brother scared me for a while because he was so much bigger than me. He is six years older than me so I bet you could understand how I felt. He used to eat seven cookies at a time and that was just one of his snacks, I was convinced he was a giant or something crazy like that. Eventually I warmed up to him after pelting me with a giant snowball in the face and other disasters. I could not imagine my life without these people. This truly shows that everything happens for a reason, not everything came together immediately but now this is the best family I could have ever asked for. At the beginning of the divorce, I couldn’t imagine not living with my “perfect” family of four in the house but now I wouldn’t know what to do without my big family. This is the story I feel should be told simply because my family made me the person I am today and I want people to know that with troubled times, great things can come out of it.

14 comments:

  1. Nice job, Kristen. I can't imagine going through both a parent's remarriage and dealing with new people in my home. I probably would have lost it, but I'm glad to here that you were better equipped to deal with these things than I would have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey! It definitely wasn't easy at first but I am very lucky it turned out great.

      Delete
  2. I have never read any of your work before and I by no means knew your parents were divorced when you where a child. I liked how you have structure but you don't, you dove right into the underling cause then branched off from there but tied it all together in the end. My one suggestion is to keep crawling out of your shell, don't be afraid to sound stupid or grammatically "incorrect" just say it how you would say as if your talking to one of your best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great blog Kristen and i think you did a great job expressing what was going through your head/emotions throughout this transition. Were you open to the idea of these people becoming your family at first or did you not like the idea of these people coming into your life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was scared and unhappy at first, I didn't want a new life but I am really happy that t happened! Thanks Val!

      Delete
  4. Kristen, this is very sincere work. You were very concise and clear in your feelings and expression. The message was clear throughout and was very easy to read. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harrison! I wanted my expression to come off that way because I think its important for people to know that divorce can sometimes turn out alright after rough patches.

      Delete
  5. Good blog Kristen! It definitely sounds like your family has shaped you to become the person you are. It's special that something so great can come out of something that wasn't so great. Whenever I come over to your house I can see how much fun you have with your step family and you're really lucky to have that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom! I do love my family a lot and I'm very lucky to have them.

      Delete
  6. This is very sweet Kristen, I can't relate or really even imagine what your parents divorce was like or what having a step family is like, but I'm glad everything turned out well for you! Do you think you learned some valuable life lessons from this experience or do you have nay advice you could give from this experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My advice is that just to go into the situation with an open mind. By having this mindset, people are able to look past flaws in situations and adapt easier.

      Delete
  7. This is probably one of the sweetest things that I have heard, usually you hear about the "evil" stepparents but im glad that you were lucky to have such an amazing step family. For any that could go through this what is some of the best advice you could give?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may hate them to begin with and everyone will have trouble adjusting but I always tried to stay positive and try hard to form a good relationship and it worked! Thanks so much Rachel!

    ReplyDelete